Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 338- Utilizing Gifts

Day 338, I was sitting at the table trying to write and I found myself looking into a void of nothingness.  I started to reflect on the reasons why this could be happening … in the past I have been able to open my tablet or computer and pull up a blank white sheet and see the words as I would began to write/type; however, not as of the last few weeks.

I nonchalantly verbalized my complaint not placing much thought into the words I spoke and the minute I uttered the words, a small young voice reflected back the following-

“Write about Jesus or something….”

These simple yet true words resounded from the voice of my eight-year-old son.

The simplicity of a child’s thoughts and the simple words from my child made me stop and think about what biblical scripture shares with us about innocence; moreover, the innocence of a child-

Matthew 21:16 (NIV, 2011)

“Do you hear what these children are saying?” they asked him.
 “Yes,” replied Jesus, “have you never read,
  “From the lips of children and infants
   you, Lord, have called forth your praise”

Accountability set-in as I began to meditate on the words God spoke to me through my son…

“Write about Jesus or something.”

Were these simple words the reason I was not able to write? 

The Lord had called forth for me to praise him daily by writing about my daily life experiences and to share with others how the Lord helps me overcome adversity and trials through him.

Have I done this?

Have I utilized the gifts he had given me, or had I let them lay idle?

The answer is simple I had neglected the spiritual gift of writing the Lord had given me; therefore, when I attempted to write there was nothing (UNTIL) I turned back to him.

This is what he shared with me through my son and through his word-

1 Peter 4:10 (NIV)

“Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.”

1 Corinthians 12:7-11 (NIV)

- “Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.  To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.  All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.”-

We are all given spiritual gifts all we simply have to do is ask to receive them and when we receive them we need to utilize the gifts in every area of our lives.  We cannot take for granted what God has given us for he is trusting us to share with others His words, His love and His story through the various spiritual gifts we are given.

Therefore, Lord please guide and discipline me in being faithful with all that you have blessed me.  Help me not to take for granted any of the spiritual gifts you had gave me.  Discipline my ways and straighten my path so that I will be able to be a light in the darkness in this World.

Proverbs 3:6 (NIV)

“In all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”

1 comment: