Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 336- Draw Near

Day 336, was an interesting day as I sat at the dining-room table with my 19-year-old son.  The topic of conversation was, “How can Jesus, be God?”  Is Jesus God and if Jesus is God why when he was on the cross did he cry out to God with the following words-

Matthew 27:46 (KJV)

"And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? That is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

To have my son ask such a strong question left me awe-struck.  I attempted to answer his question with the knowledge that I had at the time; however, the more I tried to answer him with reason and logic the more confused I made him.  Therefore, I stopped and explained to him that I also have asked this question and with prayer, instruction, and faith the question I had initially asked became answered.

I found through examining and understanding the correlation of the Old Testament prophecies and the New Testament fulfillments of the prophecies the easier the questions became to understand.

As a Christian, we should become very familiar with what the Bible shares with us pertaining to questions such as my son asked me and pertaining to Prophecy and Fulfillment of Prophecy.  The reason behind the understanding is so we as Christians do not become a stumbling block to others who may be seeking God.

For example the question my son asked me left me initially tongue-tied and uncertain of how to answer his question.  Then God shared with me that not so long ago I had read and studied the answers to this particular question and if whenever we seek answers we shall receive them.

So, why did the answer elude me at the time I need it the most?  The answer is very simple … I had not continued to utilize the tools God had provided for me and therefore, I struggled for a moment trying to recapture what God had showed me.

We as Christians have to stay near to God so that He stays near to us, especially when people are sent to us for answers.

The Bible reads-

James 4:8 (KJV)

“Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.  Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.”

We in accordance with God’s Word NEED to stay near to God, so we will not become double minded.  It is vitally important in the Christian daily walk, so when called upon we will have the answers asked to us pertaining to God, Jesus Christ, and Salvation.

When explaining to my son the reason for  Matthew 27:46,  when Jesus cried out to God, he was quoting a scripture in the Old Testament in order to fulfill the prophecy in Psalm 22:1-

Psalm 22:1 (KJV)

“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?  why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?”

The Bible is filled with internal consistency from Genesis through the completion of Revelation; however for one to see this one must read and study the Bible and seek an unveiling of our worldly eyes so that we can see from our spiritual eyes.

1 Corinthians 2:9-10 (NIV)

“However, as it is written: “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”- the things God has prepared for those who love him— these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit.  The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.”

Therefore, we may not know all the answers simply because we are seeking with our wrong eyes; however, if allow our Spirit to search for the answers we will not become awe-struck, or tongue-tied.  We will know what to say in the time we are to say it without becoming a stumbling block for another or causing doubt to take hold of a new believer.

Matthew 16:23 (NIV)

“Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan!  You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

Lord, I do not want to be cast aside due to human concerns, I want to have the mind and concerns of God; unveil my eyes Father so that I may walk along side of you and not be cast behind.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment