Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 340- Talking to God

Day 340, as time permits I will post past daily writings. Life as we all know it can consume most or all of our time; however, in the end it will all balance out.

James 5:13 (NIV, 2010)

“Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise.”

So, often we forget the most important fundamental guideline to happiness. In troubled times what do we do? Well, I can share from my own personal past experiences that when I had a bad day, or found myself in “Trouble,” I would reach for my phone and call everyone I knew. Starting at the top of my list with my Mom and if she did not answer sift through my list of contacts until I reached someone I could talk with.

The funny thing about this tactic, and I do not mean to imply “funny” as “ha-ha funny,” but funny in the definition of ironic funny, is more times than not no one ever picked up on the other end. So, many times I would set my phone down and wonder, “Why was it anytime I REALLY needed to talk to someone they were never available?” …

I believe I repeated this cycle for years, until finally the answer dawned on me; “I was reaching out in the wrong direction in times of trouble and in the times I most struggled.” Instead of reaching out to “PEOPLE,” I should have been reaching out to God. After all God is the one who saves us from the trouble or gives us the advice we need when we do not know what to do. Sure, others can share with us or even empathize with us about our current situation; however, they cannot fix it for us.

When looking back at those times and at the times when someone actually answered the phone I would have to say that even after I had talked with a person, when we would end the conversation and hang up the problem was still there. I did not receive a revelation of how to feel better or fix what was happening in my life; however, any time I would pray and seek guidance from God on a situation or even just for comfort I would receive it … and the best part, “He always answers the phone,” (so to speak).

So, now when I find I am in despair, trouble, or facing a trial I simply pray. I pour out my heart, my feelings, and even at times “ASK,” him to show me what to do, because one thing I do know is whatever he tells me or shows me will be the right thing.

Romans 8:26 (NIV, 2010)

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans."

Therefore, now when I feel I need to talk to someone and I find myself reach for the phone I stop myself and wait. I fight off the initial impulsive reaction I displayed time and time again and instead begin to communicate with God. Sometimes it is in the form of a prayer and other times in the form of a conversation, just like I would have with a family member or friend. I now know all those times no one answered the phone was God’s way of showing me he wanted to talk to me and he did not want to use call waiting; He wanted me to call him.

James 5:16 (NIV, 2010)

“Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.”

1 comment: