Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 362- Actions and Words …

Day 362- Actions and Words …

What did my actions say about the way I showed loved? Did my actions show patience and kindness? Was there understanding and wisdom in all I did or did not do, or were my actions guided by my flippant words? These questions flowed through my mind into my heart, and into my soul. What reflection and example was I leaving for the one’s I love to follow? Was the seed I was planting by my actions and with my words the harvest I wanted to reap in later days …? These and other questions began flooding my heart and accountability was weighing heavy on my spirit. I knew that within the question there were harsh answers I did not really want to face or take responsibility for; however, there is no way to escape the truth when left facing one’s self and even harder when standing facing God.

I wish I could say with certainty and with a raised head, that all the answers that followed the series of questions were answers that reflected all that was loving, patient, and kind, but sadly enough this was not the picture I had painted for day 363 … 

There were many instances in my day were my tongue got ahead of my heart and spoke without any care or thought to what was coming out just to find myself wishing for a do-over. I knew this was not possible the damage had been done, and I knew I did not mean the majority of the things I had said, so why did I say them? 

After sitting in silence while I went about my daily routine I realized I had lashed out with such hurtful words because I did not receive the result I had wanted; I did not get my way;  I did not have everything line up exactly the way I felt it should have. Then I thought who am I? Who am I that everything I feel I need or want is the way things should be? Who am I that it is more important for everything in my life be wrapped in a nice little neat package? Who am I that I can tear another person down in a matter of seconds because I did not get my way? 

Then it dawned on me … I was a spoiled, controlling brat! 

At that point, I decided just to keep my mouth closed. If I did not like how something was being done, or said, and I could not muster up a positive way in conveying this, I would just not say anything at all. I am not sure that not saying anything is the best result; however, what I do know is it is a much better alternative then before. This reminds me of a familiar theme I remember hearing growing up, “If you do not have something nice to say, then do not say anything at all.” Why did I not learn this before…?

Matthew 12:34 (NIV, ©2010)

… For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.”

Hmmm, what is my heart full of …?

Matthew 4 (NIV, ©2010)

Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ ”

Do I live on every word that comes from the mouth of God …? Do I receive enough of God’s word/words in my daily life? If the answer were yes then my heart would be overflowing with kindness, mercy, and love what a simple way to gauge our daily portions of God’s Word.

Proverbs 4:20-24 (NIV, ©2010)

My son, pay attention to what I say;
   turn your ear to my words.
Do not let them out of your sight,
   keep them within your heart;
for they are life to those who find them
   and health to one’s whole body.
Above all else, guard your heart,
   for everything you do flows from it.
Keep your mouth free of perversity;
   keep corrupt talk far from your lips. 

Where else can we learn to love unconditionally in patience and kindness? Where else can we learn to be understanding and show grace when people do not treat us the way we feel we deserve to be treated, or when life does not go the way, we had planned. As far as I have found there is no other way…

Therefore, today I will work towards showing love, patience, and kindness through my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment