Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 356- With all your Heart

Day 356, I received a text from my cousin asking me if I had forgotten about him when I sent out my daily posting. As I read his text I immediately felt convicted and ashamed. When I took on this journey I figured it was something God was doing in me I did not even stop to think what, if anything, it would do for others.

In my moment of “Spirituality Check,” I felt incredibly guilty for not giving all of my heart and attention to my Daily Journey, that I had only days before committed to God and myself. This 365 day Journey was only a little over a week jaunt and on Day 358 I had failed to live up to my commitment. NOW, not only was I accountable to God, I was also accountable to the others who had committed to walk this journey with me.

 The reason for my lack in fulfilling my daily commitment is not important; however, what is important is giving all of my heart during this time to God and the one’s God has brought within this walk. For this I am sorry. I allowed for my own daily frustration in the physical realm to overlap and impact God’s realm. The daily chaos and frustration that I allowed to affect my mind and heart stopped me from doing what was most important, which is sharing with others the transformation and renewing of a life/lives.

This left me thinking about all the other ways that our physical walk can and does affect our spiritual walk. The reason for this happening is never an acceptable excuse, yet time and time again we talk ourselves into believing it is OK that we did or did not do what we had committed ourselves to.

A few examples of this are visible in our daily walk with Him. Does this sound familiar…. I did not read the Bible today because … (Fill in the Blank) or I did not go to Church today because of … (Fill in the Blank) I did not pray before I consumed my meal because … (Fill in the Blank) I did not tithe because … (Fill in the Blank) I did not share Jesus Christ with someone today because (Fill in the Blank) …

The list can go on and on and all the blanks can be filled in with an empty excuse of physical reasoning; however, is the reasoning good enough or acceptable enough to God? I do not believe so. I believe if we were confronted by God or Jesus and were asked to explain the reason behind any one of those actions or lack of action, we would fall incredibly short. In fact we probably would be hindered speechless because really what could we say to GOD that would justify our lack of commitment and dedication to him? 

Nothing….

The only thing we could say and should say is, “I am sorry Lord, Father please Forgive me.” 

So, my promise to God, you, and myself this day forward is, "Whatever I do I will do with all of my heart." as commanded of us in the following passage-

Colossians 3:23-25 (NIV, ©2010)

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 25 Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism.”

Therefore, God does not want us only to (PERFORM) the daily ritual of any of our actions; he wants us to do them out of discipline until they become second nature. They should be more real to us then the Physical World is; after all isn’t God the one whom created it…

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Love the name of the book and scripture being sent, don't always have a bible on me though. Would it be possible to send the actual scripture?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete