Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 356- Children and Parents

Day 356, dealt with being a parent. Two snow-days in a row equals two days filled with three boys fueled by high energy! It never ceases to amaze me how early they rise when they do not have to go to school, which is completely opposite from when they do. Honestly, on a school morning it takes a good 20-minutes to get them up and going.  

Snow-days or for that matter, any time that the boys are home for more than a day my house turns into Romper Room. 

I am not sure everyone understands the magnitude of trying to keep up with three very active boys, ages 8, 10, 11. The closest way to describe it is to use a simple comparison- A pressure cooker; a pressure cooker cooks foods at an accelerated rate by containing superheated steam within a pressurized chamber. Imagine that and you have a very good picture of my day(s) with the boys. Yes, that sums it up…  

Now, do not get me wrong I love being a Mother; however, there are more days than I would like to admit I feel ill equipped. No matter what I do I seem to fall short in always being “Motherly,” as I have mentioned previously. There are days where within the day I yell, scream, shout, or behave as if I myself am 3-year-old throwing a temper tantrum. How “Motherly,” is that or for that matter, what kind of an example do I provide to my children when I behave in such a manner?

We tell our children to talk with their “Inside voices,” while so many times we ourselves forget to use our “Inside voice.” We tell our children not to call names, while so many times we call them or our spouse’s names out of anger. We tell our children not to use bad language, while in general conversation we use bad language like it is second nature. We tell our children not to smoke, while smoking in front of them. We tell our children to be kind to others, while we get angry with someone for driving to slow. Etc… Etc… Etc…

These are just a few examples of the double standards and contradictions we give to our children on a given day. How exhausting this must be for them as we tell them one thing and (YET) do another. 

What does God share with us regarding this topic? 

Ephesians 6:4 

“Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.”

Colossians 3:21 

“Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.”

Proverbs 20:7 

“The just man walks in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.”

Simple enough right…. Then why is it so difficult? 

We as parents need to remember we are God’s earthly Guardians for his children and we will have to answer to him for them. Think for one moment how upset we become when someone harms or leads our children astray; how much more angry do you think God becomes?

Therefore, I will remember that although, I may feel like I cannot live within the pressure cooker, I will practice what I preach by walking in integrity, so not to cause bitterness and exasperation within my children. 

 Integrity equates to blessings; however, how many of us walk in it daily…

No comments:

Post a Comment