Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 352- Good Steward

Day 352, as I was procrastinating on the rather daunting task of cleaning out my basement I was reminded of Stewardship.  For most that know me and for those who are just getting to know me; know I am a persnickety person when it comes to having things in their proper place. This compulsion is a truly unrealistic expectation to have in my home. 

See, I have a business and work part-time outside of my home. Coinciding with this I am a full-time student and have all of my six children at home (At the present time). This leaves me very little time to satisfy my wants and desires (compulsion) of keeping things tidy. In other words things tend to pile-up more than I would like, and organization … well, that goes out the door within a matter of days.

So, as I sat in my bed contemplating about the day and all that needed done; I became exhausted just thinking about it all. Funny, enough I found several distractions to occupy my mind in effort to avoid what I knew I had to do. I believe this is known as avoidance and some days I am the Queen of avoidance.   

I almost let this day become one of those days, but than reality hit. 

I have been on break from school since summer sessions let-out, which gave me more than ample time to organize and get things in order before I was buckled down with nothing but school and work. This routine will resume again this coming Monday the 17th

Needless to say this nice smack of reality forced me to jump to my feet and start my day, which by the way was half way over by this time. 

Down to the basement I went …

As I was abruptly pulling and throwing things out of the closets, laundry-room, and the office I became ashamed of how I was behaving. I was behaving like a spoiled brat who was forced to clean her room.

Why was I behaving in this manner? 

I was behaving in this manner due to my own actions of procrastination. I was acting this way because I allowed for things to pile-up and now the stress from letting things go was bogging me down. I was acting this way because I was not being thankful for what I had. I was acting this way because I was not being thankful for the ability to perform the task(s) at hand. 

In essence I was not being a good steward over what God had given me and what God made possible for me to do. 

 Then I remembered a scripture-

Matthew 25:21 (NIV, ©2010)

21 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!”

Obviously there is more to this passage, but the gist of it is;  are we being faithful with what God has given us … 

Everyone will take away with them what the Lord wants him/her to gain through his word. I may come back to this chapter later and have a different perspective for a different situation; however, this is what I am shown today. 

If we are not faithful with the little things God blesses us with, or the capabilities he gives us, then why or how can we be blessed with more?

To stop and compare this to a real life situation one could look at their home, job, or at their academic transcripts and analyze one's result.

Are we doing the best we can at the job we have or are we just making it through the day?

Are we receiving the marks in school we would like or we just trying to pass with a C? 

The result we get is due to the effort or lack of effort we give or do not give.

This is clearly visible when reading the rest of the passage that pertains to the scripture above-

Matthew 25:14-28 (NIV, ©2010)

14 “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. 15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16 The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. 17 So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. 18 But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money. 

   19 “After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20 The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’ 

   21 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’
   22 “The man with two bags of gold also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.’ 

   23 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’
   24 “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’ 

   26 “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest. 

   28 “‘So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags.”
Pretty powerful message!

Therefore, whatever I do rather it is pay my bills, clean/organize my home, my job, or school work I will practice being be a good steward. I will be thankful for having the ability to perform all my daily duties and I will be thankful for having the duties to perform.

Sometime we have to ask ourselves, “What do I need to do to make sure I am being a good Steward over what God has given me...?

2 comments: