Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 349- Balance

Day 349, made me think about balance … I am sure the thoughts had something to do with school starting again. The spring session for me began January 17th, and the courses I am currently enrolled in are far from easy. Statistics and Research Methods are not my favorite area of study; however, necessary for my major. 

Thereupon, adding more to my already full plate leaves me feeling like I am balancing on a "Tight Rope" and with one wrong shift I will go tumbling down. Balancing my personal, spiritual, emotional, family, work, and academic life- to say it is a challenge, would be an understatement. 

I know at times I (feel) I can take on the world, but let me just share when I fall short I am not the easiest person to be around. Imagine high stress, full plate, last minute things to-do in an effort to meet a scheduled deadline… Ha, yea, not a pretty picture. As a result, balance for me is a pretty high priority and I must admit I at times tend to tip the scales in the wrong direction. 

Aside from myself paying the consequences contributed to the off-balance lifestyle, my loved ones also feel the metaphorical “Pains.” Honestly, in the past when I would fly into a panicked frenzy I could not recognize myself. 

After all would calm down I remember looking in the mirror and asking myself, “Who is this person?” Truly ashamed of my behavior, which was caused by my own doing and yet, anyone within a mile radius of me had to suffer… hm, not a very good example to model. 

Therefore, in my walk and on this journey balance is vitally important in effort to reshape my past shameful behavior. I am just thankful I am shown sooner than later, where to start, how to correct this and with whose help…

I have learned through the many trials that the first place to turn to is not another person, contrarily to the initial impulse. The first place to turn is to God and his word. His word will carry us when we cannot walk, his word will be the light when we cannot see, his word will be the rescue from the distress; there is not a thing his word cannot do or overcome. We just have to open it, seek it …, and yes, read it. 

The following scripture is just one o the many I found helpful in this area-


Leviticus 19:35-36 (NIV, ©2010)

 35 “‘Do not use dishonest standards when measuring length, weight or quantity. 36 Use honest scales and honest weights, an honest ephah and an honest hin. I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt.”

Upon reading this scripture, I began to understand how to incorporate balance in my daily life. The first step is honesty, honesty within myself and within my life. "What is most important in my life?" Then in the order of importance weigh each and every thing that fills the time within my day. Upon doing this let me just share there is more wasted time than I would care to admit. The “Stuff” that takes time from what truly matters and is of value should always fill those gaps of “Wasted” time. 

This does not mean every minute of every day has to be so full that there is no time to just be; it just means I need not allow myself to be a prisoner of my own demise by letting the scales of balance become tipped in void. 

The following scriptures will help me with this-

Proverbs 11:1 (NIV, ©2010)

 1 “The LORD detests dishonest scales,
   but accurate weights find favor with him.”

We too should detest dishonest scales in our lives. For, the dishonest scales will only cause distress in our lives and detest unto God.

Proverbs 20:23 (NIV, ©2010)

 23 The LORD detests differing weights,
   and dishonest scales do not please him.

Therefore, today I will seek Gods wisdom in order to find a healthy spiritual and physical balance. I will reflect daily on his word and allow him to balance the scales in my life.

Proverbs 16:11 (NIV, ©2010)

 11 Honest scales and balances belong to the LORD;
   all the weights in the bag are of his making. 

Thank you Father for making all things possible even when we pollute our life with things that do not matter. Thank you for the balance you give to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment