Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 345- Hospitality

Day 345, I was utterly exhausted. I found myself migrating towards my bedroom, several times this day and all times before 3PM. I finally surrendered to the exhaustion laying down in my bed, I nestled in, closed my eyes and let out a deep sigh. Finally, I did not care what had to be done or what the rest of the World wanted from me, I was in bed and I was going to get some rest. Ah, Sleep.

Not 5-minutes after I closed my eyes my phone rang; I ignored it … Then it rang again, so I picked it up to see if I could read the number on the caller ID  and what I read instead was “Unlisted,” so, OK back to closing my eyes. THEN, my phone alerted showing I had received a voicemail … so I checked it.  

I had forgot that just a week ago I had made plans with family members to get together the coming Saturday, and well, today was Saturday.  

The message stated, “Hey, we are on our way over.” 

My response,”Ugh!”

I was so tired, had not showered, cleaned my house, or bought groceries. How was I going to do all the things that needed done before they arrived in 30-minutes. How could I have forgot…?

Then I started to think about the last time I had seen my expected company, it had been some time. The last time that they came to visit was on their way out of town to attend our Aunts funeral. Not only did I feel selfish and silly for my initial response, I also felt horrible and ashamed.

I may not have showered, cleaned my house, or been prepared, however, not all that mattered. “ALL THAT,” was unimportant when I thought about what really was important … and that was/is my family and friends. 

Reflecting for a moment on what God shares with us about opening our homes and lives to others was a nice splash of cold water on the spirit-

1 Peter 4:9 (NIV, 2011)

Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.”
I may not have been grumbling aloud, BUT before God spoke to me, I sure was grumbling internally.

Then I read-

and is well known for her good [DEEDS], such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the Lord’s people, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds.

Now, in context this scripture references widows, which I am not; however the reason I believe I was drawn to it is because of the importance of hospitality and the DEEDS God speaks of throughout his word. (My interpretation only)

From what I was gathering through his words made me feel ashamed for my behavior even if it was internal. I believe how we think, act, and behave when we are not seen physically or spiritually show our hearts and character. 

I continued to read-

Titus 1:6-8 (NIV, 2011)

An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. 7 Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8 Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined”

There is some food-for-thought… 

Upon reflection of my attitude about opening my home to family or friends, I would have to say I have not been very hospitable. It is not that I do not enjoy visiting with them; it has always been that I never felt what I had to offer was good enough or clean enough. I always thought I had to be “Perfect” and everything had to be “Perfect.” This is not what I have learned through reading what God shares with us about hospitality. God does not care if the floors are cleaned, or the dishes are done, he does not care if we had showered, or are in our pajamas, or even if we cook a four-course meal, or serve hot dogs. All Gods wants us to do is to come together in love out of love in fellowship one with another.

Therefore, I work on correcting my attitude in the area of appearances and status and focus on being hospitable, even if it is the neighborhood kids looking to hang out, or relatives wanting to visit. Through our actions of opening our home, we are presented with the opportunity to show love and in showing love; we share God, because God is love. 

Also, let us not forget the hospitality God wants us to share with strangers-

Hebrews 13:2 (NIV, 2011)

Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it”

2 comments: