Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 343, 344- His Temple

Day 343, 344, sickness. Interesting how sickness sneaks up on a person; one minute I am fine and the next I am not. It started with a slight irritating headache, which at first I thought was just from stress, but  from the mild headache I became weak and drained. Then, my right lower side started to ache, coupled with an achy tummy; then fatigue.

I have been drained, exhausted, and achy with a hovering headache all of which are not my cup of tea. Mom’s I am sure can relate when I say, “I  just do not have time to be sick,” nor do I have the luxury of being able to stay in bed and be taken care of, like what is needed to expedite the recovery.

Nope, not us we have to forge-on through all the aches, pains, discomfort and sickness. 

Yes, I am whining in hopes to alleviate the pity party I am throwing for myself, which in time will pass also
.
The flip side to my being sick, (not that being sick is a positive) nonetheless, if I am sick I will look for the positive. During the last two-days, I have been shifting the way I think, feel, and believe in regards to my health. As I have mentioned in previous post I have struggled with reoccurring illnesses and bouts of health issues that has caused me to be in bed for days, weeks, and even months at a time.  As a result these last couple of days, although not as severe as some of the past episodes I have had, has caused me to really look at my physical lifestyle. 

In being honest with  myself I cannot say I have been a model figure to look to in gaining wisdom of how to care for our bodies (temples) God has given us; however, I am willing to step out in effort to change that. 

I have complained about my weight, my pant size, my health, and my physical well-being for as long as I can remember. Thus, when being honest with myself and evaluating why I am I find myself sick so often, I must simply assume the responsibility for not taking the absolute best care of myself as I know I can and or should have. 

No one can change my weight, my health, being tired, physically un-fit, or eat for me the way I should properly be eating. All of these things are within my reach I just have to want to grab onto “Health” physical, emotional, and spiritual with the desire to "WANT" to change. 

God shares with us that we are to care for ourselves in all areas of our life this including our bodies. He shares with us in 1 Corinthians 6:19 that, “[Our] bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in [us], whom [we] have received from God? [We] are not [our] own.” the scripture continues and reads, “[We] were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with [our] bodies” (NIV, 2011)

What kind of honor does God see from me when he looks at the temple that he has given me? Does he see reverence for the sacrificial love he has given and shown me, or does he see a person who has taken for granted and has become lackadaisical in her actions of caring for her body/temple? 

To be honest he would see a woman who has taken for granted the temple she has been given and in fact has become lazy in her actions in caring for herself.

Therefore, “…I [will] discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified” 1 Corinthians 9:27 (ESV). I will keep my spiritual life renewed in his word and I will honor God with the temple I have been given both spiritual and physical. I will walk each day holding reverence for the body he has given me taking care and responsibility for what is not mine, but his.

No comments:

Post a Comment